Does everyone need a unique skin care routine?
Each component in a skin care product has a different influence on different skin types. Commercial products marketed to the general public are not always a great option for your skin. A product that excellently suits your friend’s skin may not be perfect for you. Since we all want beautiful skin, identifying the skin type is mandatory. It also helps you in making the best skin care choices. Remember when defining your skin type, it may vary depending on many external or internal factors such as environment and stress level. Using the wrong products for your skin type might worsen your skin health, leading to acne and making you look dull. Different product formulations address the diverse needs of each skin type. There are 4 general skin types – normal, oily, dry, and sensitive.
Intrigued to know more? Continue reading for the best skincare routine for each skin type.
How to identify normal skin?
- Smooth and glowing texture
- Small pores
- Less/no sensitivity
- Less/no breakouts
- Radiant complexion
Skin care routine for normal skin:
- Moisturize your skin to prevent dryness and wrinkles.
- Put on sunscreen before leaving the house.
- Remove makeup before going to bed.
- Exfoliate your skin twice a week to eliminate dead skin cells.
- Apply a night moisturizer before going to bed.
How to identify oily skin:
- Skin looks oily
- Open pores
- Acne-prone skin
- Skin tends to get blackheads and whiteheads easily.
Skin care routine for oily skin:
- Wash your face at least twice daily with a gentle face wash.
- Then, apply toner with cotton pads.
- Apply moisturizing serum to keep your skin hydrated. Pick a good moisturizer with an SPF of at least 20.
- You can also use a salicylic acid gel to treat minor blemishes.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week since excess oil can cause dead skin cells to develop on the skin’s surface, leading to blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and acne.
- Look for non-comedogenic cosmetics that won’t clog pores.
- Avoid touching your face repeatedly.
- Remove makeup before hitting the bed.
How to identify dry skin:
- Rough & flaky skin
- Itchy skin
- Uneven texture
- Visible wrinkles & lines
- Less skin elasticity
Skin care routine for dry skin:
- Take a shower not more than twice daily.
- Pat dry your skin & avoid scrubbing.
- Use a mild cleanser
- Follow the cleansing-toning-moisturizing cycle.
- Apply sunscreen before stepping out.
- Even with dry skin, exfoliation is essential to brush away dead skin cells gently.
- Use antioxidants to improve skin tone & prevents skin damage caused by sun & pollutants.
- Apply a thick moisturizer after taking a shower.
- Increase your water intake.
- Wear gloves if working with harsh detergents.
How to identify sensitive skin?
- Tight itchy skin
- Uneven texture on different body parts
- Oily in summer & dry in winter
- Turns red if sun-exposed
- Gets easily inflamed after eating spicy food
Skin care routine for sensitive skin:
- Always keep your face clean since it is prone to pimples and scars.
- Apply a moisturizer containing skin-strengthening ceramides to maintain your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Wear sunscreen before stepping out.
- Consume plenty of fruits and veggies to keep your skin soft and supple.
- Avoid makeup too frequently as the chemicals in them can trigger breakouts.
- Touching the skin with filthy hands is not encouraged since sensitive skin can readily pick up dirt and impurities.
- Avoid purchasing items with acidic components.
Our skin needs change with time; therefore, taking the required steps to identify them is essential to perform effectively. In addition, acknowledging your skin is tough to decide which products to use on it and how to address skin troubles such as acne and dark spots. So, take some time to design an appropriate skin care regimen for your skin. Last but not the least, if you have any concerns about the products or their influence on your skin, consult a dermatologist.